1. What is considered to be a strong application package for a 3/2 applicant?
2. How you suggest I enhance my 3/2 application?
3. Is my application at a disadvantage because I lack full time work experience?
4. Will I be at a disadvantage career-wise as compared to my fellow classmates with 2-4 years of experience?
5. May I visit the Tepper School to find out more about the 3/2 program?
6. What recruiting events will the Tepper School be holding for the 3/2 students this year?
7. What exactly is the MBA Preview Day for CMU students?
8. What is the timeline for applying to the 3/2 program?
9. What is the timeline If admitted into the 3/2 program?
10. How does tuition work for the 3/2 program?
11. What if I finish up the 5 year program early?
12. I received a scholarship to CMU - will it apply during years 4 & 5 of the 3/2 program?
1. What is considered to be a strong application package for a 3/2 applicant? As the 3/2 program at the Tepper School of Business is highly competitive in nature, presenting a strong application to the Admissions Committee is critical to your admissions.
A strong application package should clearly demonstrate the following components:
1. Strong rationale for applying to the program
2. Proven potential for academic success in the MBA program
3. Proven potential for professional success
4. Personal qualities - maturity, team, leadership, & communication skills
5. Clear, specific career goals
2. How do you suggest I enhance my 3/2 application? Start early!
1. Strengthen your academic record.
2. Get involved on campus and in the community.
3. Find ways to develop your leadership, team, & communication skills.
4. Seek company internships.
5. Explore your career options, and then develop specific goals.
6. Prepare for the GMAT or GRE.
7. Attend info sessions & application workshops.
8. Schedule a meeting with an Admissions Counselor for an informational interview prior to applying.
3. Is my application at a disadvantage because I lack full time work experience? No - not at all. Tepper recognizes that the contributions you can make to the Tepper School community come in a variety of shapes and sizes. We seek diversity in all dimensions and welcome 3/2 applications from exceptionally talented and motivated individuals who do not have full time work experience.
When reviewing your application for your potential for professional success, the admissions committee is more interested in the quality of your experience rather than the quantity. We require at least one company internship to apply to the 3/2 program, so that you have the chance to establish yourself as an individual contributor to a company and begin taking up leadership roles and projects to call your own, outside of the classroom. Think about the impact you've had on your internship - whether you've led a team, a project, or an initiative - and share these experiences in your essays and interviews.
We take a very holistic approach to your application as we are reviewing it. We are looking for strengths that outweigh weaknesses in every application we review. We encourage you to use our class profile as a reference to gage the strength of your application and find areas to improve upon.
4. Will I be at a disadvantage career-wise as compared to my fellow classmates with 2-4 years of experience? Each year, there are successful Tepper School MBA 3/2 applicants, as well as other applicants who apply directly after graduating from college or university without any full time work experience who are quite successful, not only in the program, but also in their professional life. Because you are applying without significant professional experience, it is an excellent idea to meet with someone from our Career Services Center and/or a 3/2 alumni to get a better sense of what to expect career-wise. Every company is unique and will view a 3/2 student in their own way; however, chatting about this and asking questions of current students and alumni is the best way to be informed.
5. May I visit the Tepper School to find out more about the 3/2 program? Visitors are always welcome! As a Carnegie Mellon undergraduate, you may familiar with where the Tepper School is located (in Posner Hall at the corner of Tech and Frew Streets), but you probably don't know much else about what goes on inside of the Tepper School!
As a prospective 3/2 student, we encourage you to take advantage of our visitors program and explore our program, our campus environment and student lifestyle. Class visits, tours, meetings with students and a weekly MBA information session are available Mondays through Thursdays.
Business majors - we know you are very familiar with Posner Hall, but we also encourage you to come and experience MBA-side of the Tepper School by setting up your own visit!
6. What recruiting events will the Tepper School be holding for the 3/2 students this year? There are several event designed specifically for the 3/2 prospective student held on campus this fall. 3/2 Information Sessions will be held at the Tepper School of Business throughout the fall along with a 3/2 Application Workshop. New webinars for CMU Qatar students will also be held in October and November this fall. Finally, our 2nd annual MBA Preview Day for Carnegie Mellon Students will be hosted in November. Our Upcoming Events for 2012 are:
The following Info Sessions will be held in Simon Auditorium in Posner Hall, Tepper School of Business at 4:30pm*
Sept. 19 - BSBA 3/2 Info Session
Sept. 27 - BSCS + BSIS 3/2 Info Session
Oct. 2 - BSE 3/2 Info Session
* If you can't make it to your major's session, join us at one of the other sessions!
Nov. 8 - 3/2 Application Workshop (All Majors)
Simon Auditorium 4:30-5:30pm
Carnegie Mellon Student Events:
**2012 Preview Day Information Coming Soon**. Please see below for 2011's schedule of events.
Nov. 15 - MBA Preview Day for Carnegie Mellon students
Where: Admissions Suite 231, TSB
Time: 11:30-4:00pm (optional events)
Registration coming soon!
Carnegie Mellon Qatar Events:
Oct. 4: 9-10am EST - Info Session Webinar - Registration coming soon!
Nov. 8: 9-10am EST - Application Workshop Webinar - Registration coming soon!
3/2 Application Deadline:
January 31, 2013
MBA Preview Day for Carnegie Mellon students will be held on November 15th, 2011. It's intended for any Carnegie Mellon students to participate in whether you are a junior preparing to apply to the 3/2 program, a senior who wants to enter into the MBA program straight from college, or anyone - freshman, sophomores, juniors, seniors, graduate students - who are thinking about doing the MBA at some point down the road.
11:30 - 12:30 Information Session and Application Workshop
12:30 - 1:30 Lunch with current MBA students
1:30 - 2:30 MBA class visit option
2:30 - 3:30 Optional Chat with Admissions Counselors
Registration coming soon
8. What is the timeline for applying to the 3/2 program? The timeline is as follows:
- Start preparing your application now - the earlier, the better!
- Take a company internship during the summer after your freshman and/or sophomore year at CMU
- Attend a 3/2 Info Session in the Fall
- Participate in the 3/2 Application Workshop in November
- Meet with your undergraduate academic advisor to make sure you are on track to complete your required undergraduate courses and you meet our GPA requirement
- Apply by the end of January via our online application
- Interview with an Admissions Counselor in February or March
- Receive your admissions decision via email in March or April
9. What is the timeline if admitted into the 3/2 program? The program begins mid-August at MBA Orientation. Year 4 at CMU will consist of MBA courses, undergrad courses, social networking events and other exciting opportunities. If you should finish all of your Bachelors coursework during your 4th year, you may graduate that May with your Bachelors. If you carry some undergraduate coursework into your 5th year, then you will graduate that May and receive both your Bachelors and your MBA. The summer between years 4 & 5 will be spent in an MBA internship.
10. How does tuition work for the 3/2 program? 3/2 students will pay regular undergraduate tuition to Carnegie Mellon for years 1-3 and then full-time MBA tuition to the Tepper School in years 4 & 5 of the program. The Financial Aid Office at the Tepper School, together with Enrollment Services, will determine eligibility and process all aid. Prospective students and their parents are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office with all financial aid questions and concerns.
11. What if I finish up the 5 year program early? In order to graduate with the MBA degree, there is a tuition requirement: students are responsible for four semesters (eight mini-semesters) of tuition - even if you should finish the coursework early.
12. I received a scholarship to CMU - will it apply during years 4 & 5 of the 3/2 program? Most undergraduate scholarships will apply during year four, but not year five. All scholarship, tuition, and loan questions should be directed to Tepper's Financial Aid office.