Education loan information for prospective students.

Students may apply for federal loans and/or private (non-federal) education loans and must meet all eligibility requirements. International students may borrow only private (non-federal) loans and must have a credit-worthy cosigner, who is a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.

It is important to note that there is no maximum income limit on borrowing some types of federal education loans such as the Federal Direct Stafford and Federal Direct Grad Plus loans. Eligible borrowers are always encouraged to review and understand the costs, loan features and the many benefits of federal student loans and compare those costs and benefits to those of private loans before choosing a non-federal loan option. 

All federal education loans are deferrable while enrolled in school on at-least-a-half-time basis (18 or more units per semester). Most, but not all, private loans are deferrable for half-time enrollment status as well. Students need to understand when they choose a private loan program whether or not they need to make payments on the loan while enrolled in school.