At A Glance
- Median resident age: 31.2
- Average household: 2.0
- Median rent: $810
- Median home value: $128,465
- Median household income: $42,320
Just over the Bloomfield Bridge from Oakland, Bloomfield’s narrow streets are lined primarily by row houses, where working-class Italian Americans have lived since the early 1900s. The name is attributed to a journal entry from George Washington, who described the area as a “field of many blooms.” Pittsburgh’s renaissance following the decline of the steel industry ushered in an influx of new residents associated with the nearby hospitals and universities that represent the region’s new dominant industries.
Most of the neighborhood’s merchants line a wide stretch of Liberty Avenue boasting a prominent bike lane and abundant street parking. This business district is a popular destination for Pittsburghers seeking both casual and upscale Italian food, among several other unique eateries. From hole-in-the-wall dive bar to local watering hole to chic lounge, there are hangouts to suit a variety of sensibilities. Bloomfield also features intimate music venues and art galleries unlike anything else in Pittsburgh.
- Each August, Bloomfield hosts Little Italy Days, a four-day festival featuring Italian-themed performances, activities and food.
- The Melwood Parklet, situated beside the Bloomfield Bridge, features public bocce courts — a popular sport among Italian migrants worldwide.
Port Authority Bus Routes
- 54 North Side-Oakland-South Side: South Hills, South Side, Oakland, Lawrenceville, Strip District, North Side
- 64 Lawrenceville-Waterfront: The Waterfront, Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Friendship Park, Children’s Hospital, Lawrenceville
- 86 Liberty: Wilkinsburg, Bakery Square, East Liberty, Shadyside, Strip District, Downtown
- 87 Friendship: Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh Zoo, East Liberty. Friendship Park, Strip District, Downtown
- 88 Penn: Point Breeze, East Liberty, Children’s Hospital, Strip District, Downtown
- 93 Lawrenceville-Hazelwood: Lawrenceville, Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Hazelwood
Schools & Medical Centers