At A Glance
- Median resident age: 27.3
- Average household: 2.2
- Median rent: $1,055
- Median home value: $356,658
- Median household income: $87,679
Known primarily for its large Jewish population, Squirrel Hill is one of Pittsburgh’s most diverse neighborhoods. Entrenched families have lived for decades in the Tudor homes all through the quiet streets of this neighborhood, while young professionals and students make their homes in apartment complexes and row houses that surround the business district lining Forbes and Murray avenues. One of the largest draws of this area is a variety of ethnic restaurants: Thai, Japanese, Indian, Middle Eastern and more. The neighborhood is also flanked by Pittsburgh’s two largest parks: Frick Park to the east and Schenley Park to the west.
First settled in the late 16th century, Squirrel Hill’s name is assumed to refer to the abundance of gray squirrels in the area, and the connection is not forgotten: Squirrel-shaped bike racks appear along the bike-friendly streets. Pedestrians pack the sidewalks, walking to coffee shops, casual eateries, independent stores and one of the largest libraries in the Carnegie Library system.
- Squirrel Hill has produced some well-known public figures, including Myron Cope — the creator of the Terrible Towel — and the beloved Fred Rogers.
- The neighborhood is surrounded by an eruv — a consecrated boundary that permits orthodox Jews to carry things and push strollers on the Sabbath.
Port Authority Bus Routes
- 58 Greenfield: Oakland, Greenfield, Duquesne University, Downtown
- 61A North Braddock: Braddock, Swissvale, Wilkinsburg, Oakland, Downtown
- 61B Braddock-Swissvale: Braddock, Swissvale, Regent Square, Oakland, Downtown
- 61C McKeesport-Homestead: McKeesport, Duquesne, Kennywood Park, Homestead, Oakland, Downtown
- 61D Murray: The Waterfront, Oakland, Downtown
- 64 Lawrenceville-Waterfront: The Waterfront, Shadyside, Friendship Park, Children’s Hospital, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville
- 65 Squirrel Hill: South Oakland, Downtown
- 67 Monroeville: CCAC Boyce Campus, Monroeville Mall, Wilkinsburg, Point Breeze, Oakland, Downtown
- 69 Trafford: Trafford, Turtle Creek, Forest Hills, Wilkinsburg, Point Breeze, Oakland, Downtown
- 74 Homewood-Squirrel Hill: Point Breeze, Homewood, Bakery Square, East Liberty
- 93 Lawrenceville-Hazelwood: Lawrenceville, Oakland, Hazelwood